Computer vision in manufacturing is today an enabling technology to reduce costs and improve performances. Computer vision is the set of technologies (hardware and software) that allows the recognition and interpretation of images, thus enabling the automation of processes and decisions.
The classic application of computer vision techniques aims at solving recognition problems, in which it is necessary to determine the presence or absence of certain objects in a specific image. This problem, which can be easily solved in the case of “controlled” scenarios, becomes extremely more complicated in industrial contexts, where the acquisition of images within production plants cannot always take place under standardized conditions.
To overcome these critical issues, it’s possible to use Artificial Intelligence approaches based on neural networks and more generally on deep learning, which make it possible to train algorithms on the basis of large quantities of images of various kinds, and determine a “Adaptation” of the decision-making models with respect to the scenarios to be analyzed.
Thanks to technological evolution and cloud computing it is now possible to have the hardware resources suitable for the analysis of large amounts of information in a short time, and this makes it possible to apply sophisticated techniques such as those of computer vision even in industrial and manufacturing contexts, with relative benefits deriving from the automation of monitoring and control processes.
Computer vision: industrial applications
There are several situations in which computer vision techniques can be used in an industrial environment. Among the main ones we mention the following:
- Quality control and defect reduction
- Workplace safety
- Product Tracking
In most industrial mass production, the verification of the presence of defects in the products is carried out through visual analysis by specialized personnel. This results in high costs and a high degree of error. On the contrary, through a quality control system based on artificial vision, it is possible to obtain the following competitive advantages:
- Labor costs reduction
- 100% production control
- Control based on objective and repeatable criteria, capable of detecting any imperfections or differences in the objects viewed with respect to the project to be carried out
- verification of the correct assembly of the electromechanical components, with respect to the design of the same
Through computer vision it is possible to analyze spatial scenarios, identify the right placement of people and things in space, and simultaneously analyze various risk factors. In this way it is possible to verify compliance with safety measures, and above all it is possible to prevent accidents at work caused by dangerous situations not managed in a timely manner.
Tracking of products in the logistics field
Computer vision techniques are also useful for logistics companies in the area of object tracking. In fact, by locating and tracking the movements of goods and personnel between the various departments of a warehouse or a production plant, it is possible to support processes for optimizing the layout and perfecting the movements, with a consequent reduction in processing times and a maximization of productivity.
Computer vision: the application cases of Revelis solutions
Revelis used the computer vision techniques in the Colibri platform for quality control, and in the ai-Guard solution for monitoring safety in the workplace.
ai-Guard: the security solution
ai-Guard is the software solution developed by Revelis, which, using computer vision techniques to monitor compliance with the security measures against the spread of the COVID-19 contagion, guarantees greater security within public and private spaces.
ai-Guard offers features for:
- Image Processing, through a neural network
- Identify the presence of people in an environment (indoor or outdoor)
- Recognize the use of the mask and / or the compliance with social distancing
- Send an acoustic warning in case of potentially dangerous situations
The benefits obtainable thanks to ai-Guard can be summarized in the following points:
- Compliance with the rules on contagion safety
- Automatic and interactive monitoring
- Reduction of the risk of contagion
Colibri: the solution for quality control
Revelis, creating AI solutions for businesses, has developed Colibri, a platform that through the use of neural networks provides for the implementation of Computer Vision techniques in order to offer quality control in the industrial sector.
Among the features of Colibri we find:
- The automatic analysis of images of industrial products
- The identification of the basic components
- Identification of the position in which the basic components are mounted
- Verification of the presence or absence of components necessary for the final product
- Verification of compliance of finished products with respect to the project
The application of computer vision techniques in complex production environments such as manufacturing and logistics can determine a decisive competitive advantage.
In this area, Revelis is a reliable partner for:
- develop customized solutions
- design and implement solutions suited to customer needs
- offer all the necessary support to companies
Contact us to find out the benefits that your company could derive from the use of computer vision techniques. You will have a personalized consultation without any commitment.